Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Can this woofer be saved?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member analog addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Posts
    521
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Unhappy Can this woofer be saved?

    Got my 414's in the mail yesterday and was disappointed to find that during transit, 2 of the 3 bolts the seller used to fix the frames together had come loose, and had torqued on the frame, distorting the surrounds and I think slightly shifting the cone so that it seems to rub when gently pushed on. If I push slightly on one side of the cone, it will move without rubbing....


    8




    9




    10





    Is there anyway to fix the surround without needing a GPA recone? Heat via hair dryer and some gentle manipulation of the surround?

    Or should I try and figger out a way of sending in the damaged woofer for a $200 insurance claim?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Analog Addict - Jack of all Trades, Master of None
    Searching for Sonic Nirvana...

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Can this woofer be saved?

    Yikes!

    If that surround is "tweaked" from a bent frame, it may not be salvagable, or will require a recone at the least.

    If the frame is positively bent, go for the insurance. I suspect it is, otherwise that surround would want to pop back into it's home position fairly easily.

    In the future, don't let guys bolt drivers with large motors together, and have them ensure that ANY bolts used in transit are thread locked with some kind of goo. I learned on an RCA LC1A, your lesson is a bargain in comparison.

    Just my .02........................
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Can this woofer be saved?

    Yeah, file a claim if it is really bent.

    I shipped a pair of Selenium 15s from Hawaii to the mainland lat year. One got badly bent but I didn't see it until 2 months later. =( Too late to file at that point. Woofer trashed.

  4. #4
    HB Super Moderator
    Can this woofer be saved?


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Can this woofer be saved?

    Always ship woofers individually.When dealing with Rare items or very,very,hard to find items you have to give up the merchandise when filing a claim as opposed to fixing, if repairable.Which "Sucks" but the lesson here is never ship 2 woofers in the same box "Ever" You have to stress that with sellers,that shipping together will be "Unacceptable" !!! and if on eBay very Negative feedback will be left to leave "No Doubt" for seller trying to cut corners on packing your merchandise.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member analog addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Posts
    521
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can this woofer be saved?

    I don't see any bend in the frame looking at it in profile from the side. I hooked them up to a low lever sound source and they actually sound OK, I don't hear any obvious buzzing or distortion.

    Thoughts?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Analog Addict - Jack of all Trades, Master of None
    Searching for Sonic Nirvana...

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member analog addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Posts
    521
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can this woofer be saved?

    On a second look.....

    11


    I'm thinking that I see a little gap between the table and the edge of the gasket on the right side of the picture.....:doh:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Analog Addict - Jack of all Trades, Master of None
    Searching for Sonic Nirvana...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.